black/white

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Several months ago my oldest son Karch and I went to the eye doctor together. Just us two, no one else. It was nice to have some one-on-one time together even if it was a trip to the eye doc. Earlier in the day Karch had won a small prize for something at school which turned out to be one of those 5-color-in-one ball point pens. You click the little lever for whichever color you want to use. So there we were sitting in the waiting room when Karch took out the pen to show me and he proceeded to do what all red-blooded American kids do when they have something new...take it apart. This pen was bright yellow and sort of squatty looking so after he unscrewed the top he stuck it on his finger. He turned to me with a maniacal look in his eye and calling upon his inner lounge lizard burst out into song: "Goldfingerrrrrr!" in front of the entire waiting room. Well, this caught me completely off guard as we hadn't seen the movie recently. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time and I'm afraid the other patients may not have been as amused. Luckily, they called our name right about then so we could at least confine our laughter to the exam room. The moment had been utterly perfect and I am still laughing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear K,
Yes , I do agree that I need the one on one time with each my kids more than they do with me. We Bloomses are loyal fans of the Austin Power's "Gold Member" series. When reading your story this made me laugh too. So on the other hand, my daughters would choose the color red. They are big fans of Stephen King's The Shining. They use their gravely voices reciting over and over with a finger scrunch ," RED RUM, RED RUM!" Here's to our children never failing to entertain us!
big hugs,
Abloom